Wednesday, January 15, 2014

A Precious Raise - Story #3: Be the Turning Point.........In Someone's Life



You have asked us to share moments of our career that impact us personally. I have a small story of a student that has made my day.

Today during cafeteria  duty, I had a student approach me with his lunch card,  after I scanned his card he stated,

“Mrs. Hernandez you are doing a “GREAT JOB!” I am going to give you a raise.” He proceeded to place 6 cents in the palm of my left hand and gave me a big hug repeating again, “You are doing a GREAT JOB.”

This act of kindness made my day and brought tears to my eyes as I was overwhelmed by the tenderness of the student as he reminded me I’m doing a great job. I humbly accepted the raise (1 nickel and 1 penny) as they are now permanent fixtures on my desk. I also made sure to contact his mommy to let her know what her sweet son had given me. The student's mother said her child woke up that morning and told his mom he wanted to give Mrs. Hernandez a special gift today. The special gift was more than just a raise, it is the reminder of the opportunity I have and joy I receive by coming to work every day and seeing these precious faces. I am thrilled to know I’m doing a “great job” knowing the “job is great!"

Thank you,

Suzan Hernandez

Assistant Secretary, Washington School